Thursday, August 23, 2012

On Wallabies, and Youtube

There honestly isn't a whole lot going on right now. I am going to start going to what appear to be bi-weekly meetings of the "Socialist Alternative." They have had meetings about Marxism and on Tuesday they had a meeting about Occupy I do believe. I haven't had a change to go yet, but I am pretty sure it will be worthwhile, and give me some blog fodder. School is pretty much exactly the same as back home, except that I have "tutorials" in all of my classes in addition to the lectures.

You still don't actually have to go to lectures, but in the tutorials you work problems or discuss or whatever depending on the class. It is much easier to just go to the tutes and learn everything there than go to lectures, but don't tell anyone that. I still go to the lectures that I like, but I can watch the other ones online after the fact. Pretty relaxed.

I have to give a presentation on whether or not Australia should defer to "Asian values" when approaching foreign policy with what they so cutely call "the near north" and specifically China. It should be interesting considering that I know next to nothing about Australian foreign policy. That's why I'm taking the class though, so it's all good. School is school pretty much everywhere, and life goes on.

I do have one interesting story to tell. Last Saturday I went to the first ever match of the newly named Rugby Championship (formerly the Tri-nations cup). I saw the best rugby side on earth play Australia. The All-Blacks were better than the Wallabies in pretty much every respect. They were faster and bigger and played more cohesively. Surprisingly enough, the All-Blacks won quite easily, even though the score was rather close.

That isn't the fun part though. I saw my high school chem-lab partner (what up Lizzy!) for the first time in like two years there. Small world. It's insane that I have to go to the other side of the world to see someone again. It was fun though. The only place we managed to find a place to sit was the second to last row in the entire stadium. We were high enough up that the rafters kept us from seeing the scoreboard entirely so we got to guess what was going on and what the scores were for the entire second half.

The game was fun, and seeing Lizzy was pretty awesome, but it was capped off by a rather strange evening. My room-mates and I along with someone from the apartment over sat in our living room and watched music videos for probably four hours. It was pretty great, and I managed to make them listen to some really bad songs. They did likewise though. And I don't think I've gotten Condom Style out of my head since that night. It was great fun.

Wednesday night I made the most bomb teriyaki chicken on Earth, just saying. And that's life.

P.S. Here's a poem I found

In the sky I see no smile
But in your face I see the stars.
I sail the supernatural blues of your eyes.
And while we're here let's not forget
How my legs get weak and turn to shit.
The though of you makes my body
Tell me lies.

My heart don't beat
And I lose my feet.
My arms are numb
And I'm feelin' so dumb.
My sight is gone
And my breaths are long.
You change me all over like I never knew before
I don't know what happens to me but of this I'm sure.
Our love is pure.

I still don't know where it comes from.
But time again I'm getting undone
By the look of your style,
Or the strut in your step.
I swear your beauty will kill me yet.

With a smile on my face
Run a hand through your hair,
They'll never find a more unlikely pair.
You're smooth as ice, put together in just the right way.
And I flail around, each and every day.

'Cause my heart don't beat

And I lose my feet.
My arms are numb
And I'm feelin' so dumb.
My sight is gone
And my breaths are long.
You change me all over like I never knew before
I don't know what brought you to me but of this I'm sure.
We'll be together forever and then even more.
Our love is pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment